BOARD MEETING MINUTES For Oct. 29, 2013

BOARD MEETING MINUTES For Oct. 29, 2013

 Meeting was called to order by President Kit Harras at 5:33 p.m. Roll was taken and those present or absent are as shown below.

Minutes from last month’s minutes were approved as posted.

Officers and Board of Directors

OFFICE NAME   P OR A
President Kit Harras       P
Vice President Mark Griffith       A
Treasurer Jim Johnson       P
Secretary Jean Marsh       P
Director Jeff Jensen       P
Director Ralph Woodard       P
Director Joe Staten       P
Director Mike Marus       P
Director Doug McNutt       P
Director Skip Mundy       P
Director Mark Pedri       P

Key Volunteers

Newsletter Editor Laurell Davenport
Special Interest Group Mark Pimentel
Special Interest Group Mike Marus
Special Interest Group Gerry Simonson
Door Prize Coordinator Kit Harras

 

TREASURY REPORT:

Membership:  73 paid members.

Club Bank Balance: $2,449.57

Pay Pal amount: $125.00

Tim Gill center is currently holding a check for $600.00 that has yet to be cashed.

A. Old Business

Future Meetings

November –  Kit will present to the club the board’s decision for a change of venue in January to the Tim Gill Center.

Rich Voelker is coming to instruct us about iOS7, Mavericks, Airport Express and help us with concerns or challenges we may have as we install these new systems. Also he will show us the new models, new hardware and cover any other hardware or software questions we might have.

Board Nominations: Joe Schaefer has graciously accepted to act as our Election Official again this year.

December - The election will be held as part of our SMMUG Corporate meeting.

NOMINATIONS

President

Vice President

Secretary

Treasurer

And up to ten (10) Board Members

To nominate someone via email (again - yourself too), simply send an email to jstaten@smmug.org, our Election Chairperson. Joe Schaefer will accept nominations from all current members.  

You may also nominate someone (including yourself) in person by 6:30 PM, at the General Meeting December 5, 2013. Please ask them if they are willing to serve before you nominate them.

VOTING

Voting will be completed as part of the corporate meeting which will start at 7:00 pm.  Members vote once for each open position. You can cast your vote by e-mail before the General Meeting or in person at the General Meeting on December 5th.

PS: We also need many volunteers for small tasks for next year. So, if you enjoy smmug ask a Board member what you can do to help. Thanks!

A guest from the Gill center will come and welcome us to our new facility.

January: Jacqueline Monroe has arranged for a representative from Dolly Drive to be teach us about this online back up service for our files.

Future Location

Change of Venue for SMMUG Meetings in 2014

As we are nearing a close to 2013 and are about to greet 2014, your SMMUG Board of Directors are making plans to improve our services to our membership.  One of the changes we will make in 2014 is a change in date and venue for our regular and SIG meetings.  Starting in January 2014, our regular SMMUG meetings will be held on the first Tuesday of each month and our SIGs will be the second Saturday of each month.  Our new location will be the Gill Center for Public Media owned by Rocky Mountain PBS at 315 E. Costilla St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903.

Why are we making this change?  We want to provide a location that is closer to Downtown Colorado Springs with ease of access and ample parking.  This facility will also allow us to network easier with other groups that are interested in media and how Macs can help them.  Also with a more centralized location, we hope to attract new members.  The dates of the meetings also deconflict with holidays for 2014.

The schedule for our general meetings and SIGs will be:

SMMUG                                     SIG

General Meetings

(1st Tuesdays)                            (2nd Saturdays)

 

Jan                   7                           11

Feb                  4                           8

March             4                           8

April                1                          12

May                  6                          10

June                 3                           14

July                  1                           12

Aug                  5                           9

Sept                 2                           13

Oct                   7                           11

Nov                   4                           8

Dec                   2                          13

Beautifully written by Mark Griffith. Thank you.

Door Prizes: Kit will fill in with additional items subject to what Rich Voelker brings with him to round out his presentation. The additional items not needed for November’s general meeting will then be available for our December meeting. (Subject to change, of course)

Membership:

Dual membership: A new category of membership will be instituted this year. A dual membership which will allow family members to pay a yearly dues of $40.00 dollars for two membership and enjoy the benefit of having two votes and two chances at the door prizes. A change in the bi laws will need to be voted on by the members at the December general meeting. The individual membership will remain at $25.00.

Club Treasury: Regardless of whether the club moved locations of the meetings or not the cost of rent of the space is subject to change in the coming year. One sincerely hoped for advantage of the Gill Center is many more paid members but being realistic the board feels a need to find other ways to increase it’s revenue also. Several suggestions came up but nothing has been settled on.  Donation jars at the SIG have not really been accepted. SIG is a membership advantage but there is a fear of reduced attendance if the SIGs require any sort of charge for non members.

Senior Center: Kit will continue to teach her class. A question and answer table to may be a consideration if she gets a great deal of feed back indicating that logistically people just can’t get to the Gill Center for the general meeting or our SIGs.

B.  New Business: To ask Mark Griffith if he might write up an email to be sent out to our members informing them that we are moving to the Gill Center and let them know the new dates, cancelation information as needed for winter, bus route information. It might be good to include the center has security cameras and good lighting, ample parking, and is handicap accessible.

This might also be used on the Gill Center web page as an introduction of the club to the center and to invite new prospective members.

Meetup: Jeff will update the webpage with our future new location and dates.

C. Around the Table:

A vote needs to be held to change the wording concerning elections. “Elections will be held at the December General Meeting”

The Gill Center just completed an upgrade of their equipment. A meeting will be arranged between someone with the Gill Center and several of our members (Kit, Jim, Skip, Mike, ?) to discuss the possible use of their movie projector, get a run through and test before our January meeting. Kit has various adaptors that we might use if need be. Kit and/or Jim are willing to donate an Apple TV to the Gill Center which might be of use to them. What other hardware might be needed for our meetings?

Kit continues to post information on the Trello website.

Maverick has experienced lots of problems. Hopefully Rich Voelker can answers some of the concerns.

D.  Next Board Meeting: Our next board meeting will be on Thursday November 19th   at 5:30 p.m. The location will be announced. All members are welcome to attend.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.